Tuesday, March 20, 2007

This I believe: How I Found My Path in Life

For this week’s post, I tried something different. Inspired by National Public Radio’s “This I believe” campaign seen at the left, I decided to investigate into what I believe in, and examine how this ideology has shaped my life. The program’s creator, highly esteemed journalist Edward R. Murrow, wanted the project “to point to the common meeting grounds of beliefs, which is the essence of brotherhood and the floor of our civilization.” Throughout this post, I plan to uncover my beliefs, and intertwine them into the floor of civilization.


This I believe in a voice for all people. Big or small, black or white, English or Spanish; it does not matter. I believe the underdogs should have the chance to sell themselves. I believe the opposed should have the opportunity to defend themselves. And I believe the misguided should have the ability to explain themselves. Having a voice, verbal or non verbal, creates the arena for communication, and I believe communication leads to cooperation. Imbedded into our country’s legislation, the idea of communication is protected by the First Amendment. Freedom of speech, assembly, petition, religion, and press allow all citizens to evoke their voice. But there is a discrepancy between having the right to do something and actually having the means to complete it.

My hope for a successfully communicative society stems for my childhood. Within the support system that was my family, an emphasis was place on fluid conversation. My parents and I had a relationship where I could share anything with them from getting a bad grade on a test to a conflict I was having with my friends. The same was true for my parents; they would share with me when they had a long day at work or if there was an issue in the family. This open line of communication produced very understanding relationships between my parents and me. If one person was in a bad mood then the other family members were aware why; and we knew with talking and time it would be resolved. Due to my upbringing, I learned to value the channels of communication, and realized the benefits that can come from them.

With this knowledge instilled in me, I set out for college knowing I wanted to pursue a career where communication was key. After a year and a half of searching, I found public relations to be the perfect fit. Not only is public relations an imperative communicative link between the world’s industries and the world’s citizens, it can affect and promote society’s values. Public relations gives a voice to people who otherwise may not have one or know what to do with it. Samuel Adams, considered to be one of the first successful public relations practitioners and whose portrait is at the right, once stated “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Adams was calling for a voice from and for the minority. Public relations was the outlet to meet these means.

At this point in my life, I am not sure what type of public relations I want to work in. The options are open to me. Whether I choose politics, entertainment, non-profit, or sports, I plan to employ the core values of my family into my practice. My relationship with my family is my inspiration when it comes to communication. Throughout my life, I have been lucky enough to trust my family, and that trust has produced a great life. Trust is also an essential ingredient in public relations. Former president and CEO of PRSA, Judith T. Phair pictured to the left, vocalized this philosophy when she spoke to the United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation “In our role of providing information to the public — often through media outlets — that trust is essential.” Truthful and pertinent communication preludes trust. I highly anticipate the day when I can incorporate my values in communication into my public relations career. I want my voice, whether sending my message or my clients’, to reach, inform, and affect society in a positive way.

No comments: